12.12.2007

So Much For That

In a welcome anti-climax, the case for which I was to be screened as a potential juror was dismissed before my group (5029, AKA, "your sexier potential jurors") even showed up. California law states that a juror can only be summoned for a specific case, so we all got to leave after dropping off our affidavits.

The absence of jury duty has allowed me to finish up grading finals this morning. I'll process the grades shortly and send them off to my prof. Then I should probably take a shower since it's, well, 1:00pm.

Speaking of a certain professor, one of our students collected his various funny quotes from this term and wrote them up in a document. Here are a few of my favorites:

On the first day of class:
Prof: “It is a history class”
Girl Outside: “OH MY GOD!!!!”
Prof: “Yes! It IS a history class.”

On Machiavelli’s Italy:
“Politics was cut throat. Italy was a place where people used knives and… cut… other people’s… throats.”

On the tarantella:
“I apologize, if I had my music and tambourine today, I would dance it for you and you would be amazed a what an erotic dance it was.”

On a fly:
Prof: “Damn that bug! Are other people being bothered by that creature?”
Student: “I think he just likes you.”
Prof: “Well. That’s entirely understandable.”

On some people talking outside:
“I thought I was going to have to go out there and knock some heads together. Which is my first impulse when people cross me.”

On George Bataille:
“It’s difficult to keep having orgiastic experiences. They become boring after a while. At least take my word for it. Don’t try it.”

Getting distracted:
Prof: “What a wonderful cupcake! Where were we?”
KFR: “Fabric of lies.”
Prof: “What?"
KFR: "We were on Nietzsche's fabric of lies."

6 comments:

Ransom said...

I would've made a lousy student of history (no surprises there), but I suddenly wish I could take a class from that prof.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, he's a powerful force for good in the universe.

Adva Ahava said...

Just one of the many reasons why Bruce is an awesome teacher.

clumsygirl said...

I am jealous of your prof. and his erudite and/or humorous phrasings. I need to work on some to include in my lectures. The best I have for this week is calling the shrinking in size of a window "smallifying... it's totally different than minimizing."

Kelly said...

BT's lectures are the one thing I'm really looking forward to for next quarter.

And you haven't lived until you've heard him sing the opening lines of "O What a Beautiful Morning!"

noncoupable said...

Except for the whole European history focus that could have been a list of Alan's quotes too.