12.05.2007

Accoutrements In General

Related to my last post, about hats, I would like to note a few things about accoutrements. When it comes down to it, everything beyond a very basic pants/shirt combination is affectation. Before-mentioned fine line between stylin' and ridiculous is always located in the murky regions of identity and status, and the trick seems to be pushing the envelope of what you can get away with without stumbling off the precipice of looking like a complete jackass. To that end, I think I can pull off:

  • The messenger bag.
  • (Obviously) the hat.
  • The scruffy semi-George Michael facial hair.
  • The suit jacket.
  • The sweater vest.
  • Reading books in French on the bus.

However! There is no way on earth I can pull of the following....yet:

  • Fake fashion glasses.
  • A pipe.
  • Patches on the elbows of the suit jacket.
  • A cane.
  • A monocle (which would interfere with the fake fashion glasses anyway.)
  • A pet white tiger on a golden chain.
  • A solid gold rocket car.
  • An iPhone.
  • A theme song (which would probably be "back in black" by AC/DC.)

The two things off of the above list I wish I could do are the fashion glasses and the pipe. But I just can't take myself that seriously.

How about you guys? What, if anything, do you wish you were cool enough to do/wear/carry around with you?

11 comments:

Chrissy said...

The tiger. Definitely.

Dolce Vita said...

Auburn hair and a short cut. I've always wanted auburn-colored hair but I've never committed because it would be too hard to get it back to its current hue.

I may yet try the super-short hair cut if I found one that I thought I could pull off.

Adva Ahava said...

I've always wanted wings.

Does that count?

noncoupable said...

one of those ski caps with the things hanging down the sides, you know like what scandinavians and scruffy-trendy (or just scruffy-hippie) santa cruz students wear.

kungfuramone said...

Ok:

C - you could SO rock the tiger.
V - short hair on the ladies is always the right solution. And you'd look great auburn.
A - that totally counts.
N - that would actually really work w/ your normal clothes. I say do it!

Rachel said...

Audrey Hepburn sunglasses. And one of those giant headbands. I always wanted to wear those, but my hair's too thick and they fell out. Course, if I went short again, maybe I could pull it off. Speaking of short hair, I would love to be able to pull off my old haircut without looking like a refugee from the Breakfast Club.

clumsygirl said...

I really appreciated the cat-hat that one of the kiddos wore. I think you have to be 14 (and slightly crazy) to pull that off, though.

the goat said...

1) The messenger bag.
2) (Obviously) the hat.
3) The scruffy semi-George Michael facial hair.
4) The suit jacket.
5) The sweater vest.
6) Reading books in French on the bus.

the goat said...

Update: although I don't pull it off, I do the scruffy george michael thing anyway-- which turns into a "scruffy homeless guy" thing after too long.

Cabiria said...

A turban. My Modern Europe professor in undergrad was blond, Finnish and wore a scarfy turban and red lipstick every day to class, and she was totally kickass. I'm pretty clear I'm not pulling that off anytime soon though.

kungfuramone said...

Oooh, turbans. Ladies who pull that off look hot and exotic like Beauvoir! It's a fact of science!