12.10.2007

Deux Choses...

First, The Golden Compass is good. Yes, it's frantically-paced, yes, they had to cram a lot of exposition into a short space, and yes, the ending is kind of abrupt and cuts off before the climactic moment that the actual novel ends at. That said, it's visually successful, the girl who plays Lyra is good, and they managed to translate all of the important plot elements from the book. I was especially glad to see the atheistic message survive despite the howling and protests of church groups.

Second, a personal/professional note: I'm now planning on taking my qualifying exams in May. Since I was originally going to take them in September, this is a pretty ambitious undertaking and I'm kind of woozy with terror. For the non-academics in the audience, once you take your qualifying exams (or comprehensive exams, or defense, or you literally jump through a big hoop, depending on the university), you're "all but dissertation." You can teach classes and, in some cases, you can get even get hired full-time so long as you finish your dissertation in a reasonable amount of time. Your turnaround from QE to PHD just depends on how fast you can do your research and write your dissertation. Since my abiding superpower is neither insight, nor language skills, nor thoroughness, but speed, I'm hoping to be done with this whole damn thing within two years.

Like Louis XIV liked to say, we'll see....

6 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

If anyone can finish this whole damn thing in two years, it's you.

I wish more than anything I was blessed with the same superpower...efficiency must feel amazing...

Rachel said...

holy crap. Well, with the amount of time you don't sleep, two years might just be do-able. Don't kill yourself in the process... good luck...

kungfuramone said...

"Don't kill yourself in the process" is probably the most apropos advice I've yet received.

Dolce Vita said...

R compared this process to running a marathon (or two in my mind - one for exams and the other for the diss). I think it is a good analogy. You train and train and then train some more. If you can survive the training, the event is merely a capstone.

Anyway, thinking in timeline is a good thing. My kudos to you.

Kelly said...

it'll be fine, we'll be fine, we'll Qualify the hell out of the Exams, and then we'll get drunk.

Then we'll research, and diss, and finish, and get drunk again.

Either way, we'll get through it just fine and it won't be nearly as bad as we're imagining it to be right now :)

Cabiria said...

If I know you at all, you're probably mostly ready to take them right now -- I have no doubt you'll kick ass!

And after finally seeing it today, I agree, Golden Compass overall has more good than bad, though it was disappointing to learn from a friend who went with me (and who hadn't read the books) that she didn't notice anything about church or sin or religion in the film. Damn studio.