12.27.2007

I Hates Me Some Flying

Planes: they are illogical. They're huge and made of metal, and they have these engines that are very small compared to the mass of the thing they're supposed to lift. Whenever I do the mental math, I come up with a twisted pile of burning wreckage to-be and an image of me plummeting to earth screaming "I told you sooooooooooooo!!!"

Anyway, despite my skepticism, my flight went off like clockwork yesterday. I want to give a shout out to my homies* at Horizon Air** for sucking so very much less than, say, United. Because man, United sucks. And Horizon provides complimentary microbrew and wine; this is an in-flight service that I appreciate.

So, I'm now back at the homestead in Eugene. My mom got me a rad argyle sweater for Xmas and my brother got me a rad Amazon gift card and a rad funny mug with a D+D parody on it. It's snowing and cold here and, naturally, we're planning on going out for a walk in a bit. I've already attended to my son duties and hooked up the wireless router to my mom's/stepdad's new cable modem, so I feel like I'm pulling my weight so far.

* "A shout out to my homies" is the most early-90s hip-hop phrase I could come up with.
** Alaska owns and operates Horizon. I'm not sure why they bother to maintain the separate name, considering they don't even have a distinct website for Horizon. But, uh, who the hell cares, now that I think of it.

3 comments:

noncoupable said...

United may suck in many ways but I have used them for all my East Asian trips (or someone in Star Alliance) since 2001. This has not afforded me luxury or comfortable trips but instead two free round trip tickets to Dalian, China last year and Taipei, Taiwan this year (total savings: approximately $3,000 USD). It's ashame more of my fellow EA travelers don't use someone in that alliance or they'd be saving big bucks too...

P.S. United does suck domestically. The lack of food and alcohol on 5.5 hour flights from DC to SF is just not cool.

Cabiria said...

I'm with you on the illogical nature of flying and, to reinforce yet again, United does indeed suck. And, unfortunately, it was the cheapest carrier for me on the current East Coast trip, so double-yuck.

Merry Christmas -- drinking and eating are good solid goals for any holiday, I agree!

kungfuramone said...

When B and I went to New Zealand, we flew United there and Air New Zealand back and it was, how you say, a night/day difference in comfort, niceness of the flight attendants, on-time arrival, the works. Fie on United! FIE!

(C: totally, dude. With the eating and the drinking.)