9.06.2007

Handsome and Discreet, or, The Week California Burned Down

There's a pall of smoke* hanging over the entire central coast this morning - two huge fires are burning right over the hill. I know it's harder for fires to go down hills than up them, so I hope to avoid having to throw Pesto in the back seat and tear-ass for B's parents' place in Marin. On the up side, the smoke is so thick that I expect it'll be cooler today and I won't risk sunburning my scalp if I'm outside.

I love this picture:


It's from the cover of the album "Rabbit" by The Billy Nayer Show.

And if you haven't seen this yet, watch it right now (N [really] SFW):



Cheers to the P-town kids who clued me in to that.

* The phrase "pall of smoke" is interesting because you hardly ever hear the word "pall" outside of it. Two other examples of this phenomenon: "vim and vigor" (when else do you hear the word "vim"?) and "rue the day." Note, however, that in a Simpsons episode Homer did try to convince Marge to change her name to "Chesty LaRue," which in French would mean "Chesty the Street."

4 comments:

Cabiria said...

Oh my God, shoes! I will now hear that in my head every time I go shoe shopping.

Leah said...

Smoke is coming over your hill and all the way to us! I can't imagine how bad it must be in your area. You guys ready for the craziness of fall term to begin?

kungfuramone said...

Um....no. No we're not. :]

The smoke situation is really weird; it's been very cloudy and cool today, and I don't *think* it's all smoke, even though the (stupid, blind, incompetent, sinful) weathermen said that it was supposed to be sunny all week. As ever, I have no idea what's going on.

Isn't that song RAD, though?!

Ransom said...

I also salute your use of the phrase "tear-ass" for going places fast. For some reason which not only escapes me but which probably doesn't even exist, I was thinking about that phrase earlier today.