9.13.2007

9 out of 25 on the Man Scale

My homie K just sent me the following from here:

Are You A Real Man? 25 Skills You Should Know:

(listed here with my self-assesment)

1. Patch a radiator hose
No way. Unless you gave me a very simple radiator hose patch-machine.
2. Protect your computer
Easily, whether from viruses, spyware, or people trying to steal it. Assuming I'm armed.
3. Rescue a boater who as capsized
I can barely dog-paddle. I would frantically shout for help, though.
4. Frame a wall
No. I can, however, help pick out tasteful spots to frame pictures on a wall.
5. Retouch digital photos
Easily. And I can also add stupid, low-quality Photoshop effects.
6. Back up a trailer
Probably. I can drive a Uhaul with the best of them.
7. Build a campfire
Oh, totally. And I can pitch a tent (Stewart.)
8. Fix a dead outlet
Not without killing myself in the process.
9. Navigate with a map and compass
Absolutely. After I got lost in the Desolation National Wilderness Area when I was fourteen, this became an important skill to pick up (I'm not kidding.)
10. Use a torque wrench
I don't even know what that is. I don't know; I could probably figure it out.
11. Sharpen a knife
Badly, but sure.
12. Perform CPR
Nope. As in the capsizing boat scenario, I would frantically jump about.
13. Fillet a fish
Ha ha! It would just look like I attacked it with a hatchet.
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
It's possible. But I doubt it.
15. Get a car unstuck
Probably.
16. Back up data
Uh, yeah.
17. Paint a room
How can you not be able to paint a room?
18. Mix concrete
WTF? I mean, sure, I assume you just pour the dry part into a bunch of water and stir it.
19. Clean a bolt-action rifle
Nope. I'd probably shoot myself in the process.
20. Change oil and filter
And deprive oil-change guys of their living? I think not!
21. Hook up a HDTV
Sure. If it has wires and electronics, I can probably do it.
22. Bleed brakes
Nope.
23. Paddle a canoe
Unless I was bound in duct tape, yes, I can paddle a canoe.
24. Fix a bike flat
Sadly, no. I'm not proud of that fact.
25. Extend your wireless network
Easy.

9 definitely + 3 or 4 probably/possibly. That makes me a bit less than 50% of a man, by my math.

I note, however, a complete lack of sex questions. I would like to think that if there had been a couple of those on the list I would have done considerably better. They should also have something about how much you can bench relative to your weight.

K herself scored a solid 12 out of 25, easily trumping me in manliness.

9 comments:

the goat said...

I got 17 out of 25, which I suppose makes me manly. However, if there were questions about sex, I doubt my score would have changed much.

Dolce Vita said...

I also got a 12 on this test (13 if I get a point for being able to clean a flint-lock musket or rifle). Maybe 12 is the "women's threshold" for the man test?

Adva Ahava said...

I got a 10. Looks like DV mentioned extra points for being able to clean a flint-lock musket or a rifle, both of which I can clean as well.

The Goat clearly has extreme man-skills.

kungfuramone said...

So...why am I scoring lower than EVERYONE else? Sigh.

FOSCO said...

Don't worry, I think I would get a 3 or something.

Although that might not comfort you much, because I'm a notorious homosexual and like to take it up the ass. I guess that's not too manly.

But who wants to be like Tim Allen anyway?

kungfuramone said...

I dunno man, I think man-love is the MOST manly thing, when you think about it...

hardcori said...

I'm a manny manly man evidently. I was countin' round 17, though some I can't do WELL. There are a few I've never done but probably could, like rescue a boater or filet a fish. So that would be more like 19.

Serenaded Hourly said...

Okay, I've only NOT done one of those things. Obviously, I have a cock.

Serenaded Hourly said...

Not that I've saved people from sinking boats or whatever, but I have done CPR and I've just had a First Aid/CPR refresher course.