4.08.2007

Review of Some Awesome Shit

Here's how it all goes down:

The latest Modest Mouse album (We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank) is top-notch. It sounds like Portland to me, the gritty streets, the rain, the bridges, the endless number of amazing dive bars, the hot kids in cool clothes. As an added bonus, it's so many years past when Modest Mouse was anyone's hip discovery that you can just enjoy how good the music is and not worry about associations.

Rogue Ales are absolutely delicious. It's Easter, which means (of course) that Becky put together highly cute easter baskets for me and her parents, mine featuring a 6-pack. Dead Guy Ale is just amazing. I'm in favor of marriage, as long as you hook up with someone brilliant and gorgeous like I did.

I know nothing about French cinema, but I do know that The Science of Sleep is really fun. It's like L'Auberge Espagnol in that it's trilingual; it's set in Paris but the dialogue switches between French, Spanish, and English. It's made by the guy who did Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but I think it's less depressing and more fun. It stars the dude who played Che in The Motorcycle Diaries. Go see it; you'll feel better-traveled and more wordly, even if you live in your mom's basement, or in a van down by the river.

It turns out that the UCSC Arboretum is really neat. Becky's folks visited for Easter and we all rolled up there to check it out. I can't actually distinguish between different plants ("so this one appears to be a...flower, correct?"), but it was pretty and fun. There were cute lizards and hummingbirds and tiny bunnies running around, too, which I couldn't have been happier about.

I certainly enjoyed playing Cranium last night. I should take this opportunity to salute my teammates Becky and Tweak, who fought through antihistemines and, well, one rum + coke* to bring home the win. The highlight of the game for me was the charades-style round in which I had to act out "little black book." I did so by indicating someone flipping through a book, calling someone, then engaging in some frenzied lovemaking, FRESHMAN DORM STYLE! And we totally won the round.

Finally, a electronic hi-five to my brother, whose romantic fortunes have turned around in a big way of late. Good job, bro. That's what we call representing.

* For Tweak, that's a lot.

4 comments:

Matto said...

Check out the video for Modest Mouse's newest single "Dashboard" from their recent album. It's a whole lot of entertainment.

Adva Ahava said...

I love me some rum and coke!

I was also rather impressed w/ your ability to draw microwaveable popcorn with your eyes closed. That was almost as great a feat as pantomiming "little black book," in my opinion.

Mike B. said...

Cranium is good. I would/will enjoy it more when one of our regular players isn't so bad at charades she just stops trying after a few attempts.

We've also gotten a lot of drinking-at-home mileage out of the Cranium card game Whonu, which encourages you to rank things. The cards that come with it are fine, but we've made our own, with various sex acts, apocolyptic events, and pharmecuticals on them, which are even funner.

Mike B. said...

Oops, by "when" I mean "if/when" and by "encourages" I mean "requires."