4.12.2007

The Rant

The problem with blogs is that they lend themselves to ranting, and the problem with ranting is that it's the most perilous form of prose. Letters and e-mails are directed to individuals or, at most, small groups. Books and articles are carefully edited and screened before they're published. Nobody reads poems. Rants, which have lived in history for a long time in pamphlets (which as we all know exploded following the invention of the press), became universally publishable via the internet, especially when automated blogging setups like blogger meant that you didn't even need to know a single HTML tag to share your thoughts with the whole wide world online. So, anyone with access can now publish anything they want to publish and anyone with access can read it. Search engines and tagging mean that everything published is theoretically accessible and efforts like the Internet Archive mean that every piece of old horseshit you ever wrote will stay available until the end of time.

So why do I care? I have two reasons:

First, because rants are usually underthought. There is no accountability in ranting; the term itself evokes an emotional outpouring, not a reasonable one. One says things in rant format that one would not normally say, or would at least say better in a different format.

Second, because rants lend themselves to would-be Bukowskism. To briefly rehash my stance on Bukowski: he's fine, but he spawned a whole generation of men who thought that getting drunk and being belligerent was carte blanche to become a writer or a poet. As Modest Mouse says, "yeah I know he's a pretty good read, but god who'd wanna be such an asshole?" The results of Bukowski-inspired writing have always been universally awful.

So this is the peril of blogging for me. In real life, I hate confrontation and I love reconciliation. I try to find the middle ground and the shared belief in almost any conversation and I deliberately seek balanced, evaluatory positions in my scholarship (side note: I feel like such a fucking cad calling it "scholarship"), not polemical ones. I am, however, also a deeply cynical, pessimistic, negative person and so I get angry and then sometimes I blog about it. It is, how you say, contrary to my nature to rant publicly, but that's precisely what blogging is for me and for a lot of other people.

9 comments:

Trust in Steel said...

Ah Bukowski, after reading his stuff I often expected to wake up drunk in a dirty alley somewhere. I made the unfortunate decision to read alot of his stuff when I was severely hurt years ago, not the best choice for reading when one is physically and emotionally damaged. Not very uplifting.

Alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

Dude, that's so meta.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, I don't think Bukowski is good depression reading.

And yeah, too, I'm all about meta. Just watch. I'll supply a brand new meta-narrative the likes of which the academy has never even dreamed of, then take it on tour in a giant cage. It will eventually escape, alla King Kong, and go tearing through Yale, eating tweed-wearing profs and smashing libraries.

Matto said...

I like your quote of Modest Mouse. It reminds me of their song titled "The good times are killing me." I've always hoped that my cause of death would be too many "good times." To this point I have only gotten sick due to lack of sleep and suppression of my immune system that resulted from too many good times. I guess I better keep working on it.

another kind of nerd said...

One area, sir, where you'll get all up in someone's face: the shelf life of an open bottle of port.

Rachel said...

I'm assuming this is in response to your previous post on chickenshits? :) I, for one, am glad you convinced everyone to start blogging, not only because it's highly amusing and occasionally thought-provoking to read the rants of others, but because it is so amazingly cathartic to have an audience. I look forward to the next moment of rage, vented on your blog.

Cabiria said...

I love the meta-narrative King Kong. Can he trash Harvard too? Yeah, it's important to be balanced, but sometimes it's also important to just say true stuff (even if it's only true for like three seconds). As long as it's not the 24/7 grumps, I think that it can be thought-provoking.

Dolce Vita said...

I concur! Keep up the ranting!