4.24.2007

Contingency and Boredom

Holy crap, you guys. I am so fucking bored these days. I have this perfect-storm mix of anxiety and boredom governing my moods and perceptions as we crawl closer to summer. Here's the short stream-of-consciousness version of what I'm thinking about:

"We are so broke, I really need to work full-time this summer, but shit! I want to go to Oregon for a week to see everyone, especially my grandma, and then there's Becky Fay's wedding, which is so far north it's almost Canada, but how can I get a week off when I don't even have a job from which to get said week off FROM yet?! And I was supposed to find a tutor in spoken French for the summer, but the deadline already passed for the language studies fellowship from the department because I didn't have the actual logistics worked out yet and I flat-out overlooked how bloody early the deadline was (first time ever for me missing a deadline, as far as I remember) and in the meantime I'm just stewing here, reading books and writing reaction papers, and I still have barely read any actual history all year, just endless tomes of theory and political science garbage and so on..."

It's all contingent, kids. Everything depends on everything else. And from where I'm sitting in the framework, it sucks, because I can't make any concrete plans to do anything until certain things are taken care of (primarily landing a temp job).

Here's what it boils down to: I hate, HATE summers. I hated them before because they're hot and people are loud and everything bugs me. I hate them more now because you're left high and dry during the summer when you're a grad student in the humanities; the meager stipend you live on is gone and it's so fucking hard to find summer employment. I dearly wish I could just fast-forward to Fall, but instead I've got to grit my teeth and try to make things work for June, July, August, and most of bloody September.

Care packages of booze and/or prescription painkillers gladly accepted by the management.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

have you tried a cruiseline? Cruiselines like Princess or Royal Caribbean, which have cruises to Alaska are always looking for summer employees and they're starting hiring right now. I saw an ad for paid training starting May 15 and June 15th in Seattle. You have to move temporarily though, that could be a deal breaker.

kungfuramone said...

Ummmmmmmmmmm...no.

I could always sell a kidney, right? :]

Rachel said...

I remember reading an article about young women selling eggs to pay for college. There was just something deeply disturbing about that concept, much less that people were doing it. But hey, a kidney... why not? Better than dealing with fat old people who want to do anything to fritter away their retirement, right? :)

Becky said...

well, as far as pain killers are concerned, i am pretty sure that if you just hop up to canada after my wedding you could get your hands on something!

Dolce Vita said...

You could always try prostituting your brain. I did that during the summers I was in Seattle - I worked for 3 or 4 temp agencies. It is amazing how good a typist you become after a few years of grad school. But wait, you can do IT - you don't have to go down this demeaning road.

I can totally symapthize. I am bored silly here in Nowhere and I can't wait to move. We're also feeling the money crunch so I've been toying with the above idea.

I really wish that the private college here had come through for us so that my spouse could also be my sugar daddy. On that note, maybe you should focus your energies on Becky's Esty site. Sugar beetle!

clumsygirl said...

I, too, am wondering what to do w/ myself during summer. I want to be available for interviews at any point, so I'm hesistant to get a full time gig. I suppose I could look into summer camps, and see if anyone needs an arts 'n crafts instructor. I'm tempted by the open volunteer positions at Scrap and the Art & Craft Museum... but those don't earn any benjamins.