2.05.2010

Everything Good in Life

I went to the doctor yesterday. I hadn't been in to see a doctor for general health reasons since I was, I think, about 19. At this meeting it was confirmed that I have borderline high blood pressure; the term is "pre-hypertension." I was instructed to purchase a home blood pressure monitor with which to take two daily readings, to record the results, and to return in 8 weeks to consult. Through adjustments to consumption and lifestyle, it is hoped that I will be able to knock a few numbers off of my readings and return to the normal / safe range.

As you can imagine, I am thrilled to bits. Let me break it down like a fraction:
  1. Salt: makes everything taste good.
  2. Alcohol: makes everything fun.
  3. Caffeine: makes everything possible.
My prescribed adjustments to consumption and lifestyle?
  1. Eat less salt.
  2. Drink less booze.
  3. Hold myself to two cups a day.
As ever, the things that make life worth living are the things that kill us.

9 comments:

Elizabeth M. said...

Join the ranks of the hedonists who refrain in order to happy, happy lives. So far this is a club of one and I'd love company.

kungfuramone said...

Yeah...see, this is one of those cases in which the object(s) of the hedonistic desire are, well, different. Believe me, I *wish* I experienced restraint as enjoyment...

clumsygirl said...

The doc sounds like a quack to me.

Pshhh. Who's ever heard of refraining from booze, salt AND caffeine. Ridiculous.

the rambler said...

Dissertations don't help either.

noncoupable said...

Salt shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless you are used to dumping a bunch of it on your food or you eat frozen meals.

Also, I had a historian friend at Mason (cheery history of 20th century Eastern Europe) with your prescription and he was able to get by on half-caf coffee. Maybe you could start with that?

Alcohol... well I don't drink it much, but that seems like it might be your downfall. You could start by not drinking while B can't either, than just have it occasionally?

kungfuramone said...

I am never, ever, going to drink anything less than 100% caffeine black coffee. This is a "buck stops here" kind of stand on principle thing.

Yeah, I don't really give a shit about the salt.

And the booze? The goal is to be a strictly social drinker. I was already heading in that direction, so this just kind of confirms the necessity.

Angelina said...

I just adore your blog. I just do. You could pretty much write about anything and I would read it. For true homez.

Ransom said...

This is the wrong direction. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to take caffeine back up, not have you join me in the ranks of the semi-conscious.

Sigh. Moderation in all things. Including moderation.

Chrissy said...

Also, if the salt thing starts to bug you, there is fake salt for people like you. It tastes the same. :)

Did you tell your doctor that you are (and have been for a while now) deep into your pursuit of a phd? Because it seems like high blood pressure would kind-of come with the territory (and maybe hopefully go away afterward)?