2.12.2008

This Again

Well, it's hot and sunny in February again, like it was all last winter. It's been about a week and a half of nonstop sunshine, kids walking around in shorts and sandals, muggy bus-rides to and from campus, the works. The state managed to soak up enough moisture during the January - early February monsoon that I'm lacking my characteristic paranoia about water-levels in the snowpack and resevoirs, but I've recaptured my equally characteristic misanthropic sourness at seeing all of the doofy 19 year olds walking around like they're in a commercial for Disney World.

This is officially the term from hell for my entire cohort. We're all right at our outer limit of workload possibility. Here's how it's all going down:

  • Everyone is madly scrambling to finish (or, as the case may be, start) their MA papers.
  • K and I have our QEs very, very soon.
  • The ABD kids are nowhere to be seen.
  • The cohort itself is sort of pulled apart by centrifugal work-forces.
  • We can't get no satisfaction.
  • The stark reality of death makes a mockery of our meager dreams and aspirations.

On the up side, my niece and nephew are coming down from Oregon this weekend, so I'll go get in some uncle/human jungle gym action this weekend and drink beers with B and her dad. Always fun.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

yeah, I'm beginning to freak out. I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing, I'm still reading, I don't know enough to put a coherent booklist together, much less a field statement, and I'm so busy reading I haven't written anything. I'm going to go stick my head in a bucket and sing Waltzing Matilda for a while, I think.

kungfuramone said...

Soundtracks are a good idea. My brother told me I should listen to more dragon metal when I'm feeling listless.

Trust in Steel said...

Dragon metal will always do you well!

Chrissy said...

"The stark reality of death makes a mockery of our meager dreams and aspirations."

So funny and so true. Perhaps those people under the Burnside Bridge are on to something...

Adam said...

I was actually saying to listen to your friend "trust in steel" but dragon metal would work too

kungfuramone said...

Ha ha! I get J's moniker confused with dragon metal. Somehow I think he wouldn't mind.

noncoupable said...

Well, I know it's not the same situation, but it has been frickin' cold and grey and mostly raining for one whole month without sunshine now. My motivation for writing Chinese essays about useless topics has dwindled, as has my motivation to go to 4 hours straight of class 8-12 every morning during the week when the building isn't even heated. In fact I have mostly spent the last few weeks at the gym and Starbucks purely for warmth (ok, and the caffeinated beverages) trying to write about myself in order to get money for this summer.

I still miss you guys and will help fix this cohort nonsense when I return... Cheer up, the quarter and QE stuff is almost over (at least that's what I keep telling myself on this side...) You'll be ABD and laying in a hammock before you know it!