7.16.2007

Beaver State Redux

The last time I got seriously choked-up was when I was in the Uhaul about a year ago and I drove past the "thanks for visiting Oregon" sign and officially became a Californian. I had been so worried about being a lo-fidelity truck driver and dealing with all of the logistical headaches of the three moves in two months that I hadn't anticipated what it would be like to leave behind my home state, a place for which I have some pretty fierce pride and affection.

Anyway, here's a shot of how the visit has gone so far:


Not bad.

A few highlights and thoughts:
  • Eureka, CA, is a shithole. We've decided never to stop there again when we're driving up. On the wall of the gas station restroom: "Die, Towle-head, Die!" In my book, when your bigots are that illiterate, you lose your incorporated status.
  • Becky purchased a rather fetching black polo-style shirt at the Target Boutique yesterday. She will sexy-up the joint when we get to Portland in two days.
  • My mom: croquet champion.
  • Still to come: eating lots of food with Good People.
I'm already sad that each stage of this trip is only about two days long, but two days beats the crap out of zero.

2 comments:

Adva Ahava said...

Glad you get to visit your home and the lovely people in it.

And ditto to your comment about Eureka, CA. We stayed there for a couple days when I was racing a half-marathon in Humboldt, freshman year.

Rachel said...

aww... That's how I felt about going home to Washington. :) I love that state, love my home. Too bad the job market is, shall we say - not promising? I hope y'all have a smashing good time! And I wish I weren't stuck in Singapore. very bad move...