11.04.2009

Walk Down the Street at Night

This happened to me within two blocks of my apartment at about 6:45pm:
  1. Crazy sweating guy literally ran up behind me and spent four minutes shouting at me about how the full moon brought about bad spirits and strong emotions. This ended with him shouting "do you know about YAHWEH?!" as I used a Jedi mind trick to escape.
  2. Toothless guy shouting at me out of his car, then blocking traffic and demanding directions to "the McDonald's on 17th." I told him which direction to go (i.e. away from me.)
  3. Guy stumbling past, dragging his leg behind him like a zombie in a 70s grindhouse flick. At this point I was laughing out loud, but fortunately he didn't notice.
Later, as I was describing this to my (new) homie N, he interjected "and then someone takes all your money!" I realized, though, that this isn't the problem - I'm never worried that someone wants to rob me here. I just think someone will eventually stab me just because. This state is in the process of breaking off and sliding into the sea.

These days, living in Santa Cruz, I feel like Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver. Happily, I am not armed.

4 comments:

Alexis said...

Al Pacino in Taxi Driver would probably be like - "What am I doing driving this cab? I'm Michael Corleone!" :) But that said... yes, I see your point. I think it's "You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?" :)

Chrissy said...

When I was little, every time I heard someone talking about how California was going to break off and slide into the sea I would get really worried but then also kinda excited to live on an island. Now that I dont live there, every day I silently pray that it will slide very, very, very far out into the sea and become its own nation that no one ever has to visit or talk about (or even acknowledge its existence).

P.S. Have you ever met any of Portlands crazies? They are a special breed of thier own!

Dolce Vita said...

This is your recompense for thinking you could escape on Halloween. SC saved it up for you.

kungfuramone said...

C: yes, they are special. In the bus / olympics sense of the word. The thing is, SC is so much smaller, all of ours are crammed into a tiny area (i.e., where I live.)

DV: god, that is a great point.