11.17.2007

The 80s: Bad Canadian Music

B's back up at another craft fair and I'm left to my own devices once again. Normally, this would mean pasta + video games. Instead, so far it's meant pasta + Canada. My homie C came over last night and we did what we usually do when we hang out:
  • We drink. Please see the diagram for how normal drunkeness works vs. how it works for C.
  • We talk a lot of shit about the program (but it's constructive shit, I swear.)
  • We watch funny videos on youtube. This time he subjected to me to about two hours of terrible Canadian 80s pop videos. It was brutal. I had no idea how awful a lot of Canadian bands were in the 80s. As he explained it: "well, the good stuff made it down here, but the bad stuff just stayed in Canada."
Anyway, thanks to my bulletproof liver, I feel pretty ok today. And, while I have not yet taken a shower (it's about 1:00pm), I have written a bunch on my MA thesis and the lecture I'm giving on Monday.

Tonight: a wine "tasting" at K and L's. That is, assuming the big protest the stupid aimless hippies were planning for today didn't end up burning down campus.

5 comments:

FOSCO said...

"well, the good stuff made it down here, but the bad stuff just stayed in Canada."

But wait... then why did we get Bryan Adams?

kungfuramone said...

No, no, Bryan Adams is *good* compared to the crap I was watching last night...it was *crazy*!

Ransom said...

I think that Rational Youth would make up for a lot, but I wasn't subjected to the other stuff.

Trust in Steel said...

Good to hear you're enjoying some time in a wasted stupor. I haven't been able to find the time lately. Hopefully, I can change that soon.

Enjneer said...

You'll be happy to know that this came up first on a Google search. "Bad Canadian bands."

You should list the videos you watched! Canada was truly blessed by HORRID bands in the 80s. This was largely due to the CRTC's rules about Canadian Content and a loose system called FACTOR or VideoFACT that allowed too many crap Canadian bands to get funding because a) they were Canadian or b) because their uncle worked at Universal Canada.

Did you enjoy Cats Can Fly? Martha & the Muffins?