6.13.2007

Sometimes, Santa Cruz is Like Vacation

It got hot. But here's the thing: here in SC, we're on the bay. The ocean, containing water, has air go over it, much of which stays relatively cool. When that air hits the town, it makes it less miserable. Even when it does get hot, it cools down as soon as the sun goes down and within a few hours (say, by 9:00pm), it's really nice.

Over the hill in the endless strip malls of Silicon Valley, it's 20 - 25 degrees warmer most of the time than it is here. It is fucking miserable, people. And there are a lot of strip malls too.

In California, Charles Shaw wine is genuinely 2 dollars a bottle.

My job is amazing. It's not constantly fun or anything, but it isn't horrible, which is the closest thing to great that any job is, anywhere. Every day I wake up amazed that I can afford things this summer.*

I caught the 19 on the way home today, which goes past the beach. The kids were out in force. I want nothing to do with beaches, but I understand and even support everyone else going there. On you go, kids.

Becky made these insane figs-wrapped-in-prosciutto-with-cheese maybe 5 months ago. It's friggin' FIG SEASON again. We might smoke out our neighbors too (i.e. with pork chops and the hibachi on the porch, granted.)

Two melatonin = sleeping.

* By "things," I mean the following: groceries, rent, bills, paying off some student loan, one tattoo, one shirt, one trip to Oregon and Washington.

3 comments:

clumsygirl said...

one tattoo? ????

hardcori said...

I see you have your "things" budgeted. Good job. oh and we all know what kind of smoking out you're doing to your neighbors. Santa Cruz has turned you hippy.......

kungfuramone said...

Ahem. Cori: shut up.

And, yes MA'AM one tattoo! I'm finally a-gettin' my coffee tat. That leaves only bunnies in terms of "things I like and have a tattoo of."