12.15.2012

Rough

Of the various responses to the shooting in Connecticut, I think The Onion's about sums it up: fuck everything.

It's been a rough week.  The shooting here, the one just outside of Portland, was already a lot to bear, then the one yesterday just made everything seem pretty absurd.  I've never actually been a big gun-control guy, given my general left-of-Lenin political outlook, but I SURE FUCKING AM NOW.

Anyway, there's nothing I can say that could possibly matter about this, so some notes on things infinitely more trivial:
  • I'm kind of sick of Facebook.  I know everyone says that.  In my case, I made a "this is ridiculous, outlaw guns, etc." comment and, sure enough, two people needed to pipe up with "guns don't kill people, etc."  It's kind of iconic as to why FB sucks: your real friends don't need it, and the people you know from middle school don't have any business weighing in on your opinions, when it comes down to it.  I'm just going to tune out (not that I was particularly tuned-in in the first place.)
  • What happens when you get a nail through your tire?  You end up buying four new ones!  This is why I pick up textbook editing gigs, still.
  • There is an inverse relationship between how much whiskey we've had to drink and how late we've stayed up and the hour at which Plan C decides to wake up in the morning.  E.g., a fair bit + 11pm = 6:00am.
  • The term's over, anyway, so that's a relief.
  • The self-clean function of modern ovens is kind of scary.

No comments: