9.26.2010

Utter, Total, Computional Disaster

When I woke up this morning, I thought I had two functioning computers: my trusty iBook G4, trucking along after over four years of loyal service, and the PC I built about three years back, living happily in a box waiting for us to get our own place.

Then I spilled cereal and milk on the laptop. It didn't work anymore.

Then I unpacked the PC because I need a computer to work on stuff and apply for jobs. It didn't work anymore.

So now I'm typing away on B's laptop, sans computer of my own. I ordered a replacement motherboard for the PC off of ebay, which (hopefully!) will fix the it. The iBook is dead as fried chicken, so we're trying to figure out what to do about it (a new 1000 dollar Apple laptop or a 450 dollar PC laptop with linux are the front-runners.) I have never done anything quite as straight-up idiotic as destroy a cherished computer out of pure clumsiness. The PC thing is just insult to injury. This is payback for all the times I have gotten a lucky break in the last year or so; the law of averages is a cold, harsh mistress.

P.S. Apple made it ridiculously difficult to get the hard drive out of its laptops. I plan to get it tomorrow, whether or not I have to use a blowtorch, and then use a USB adapter to be able to get at its contents. What a pain in the ass...

2 comments:

Ransom said...

I have poured a beer into a Thinkpad... Somehow that seems more sensible, or at least more expected, than a milk-and-cereal death. Actually, I suppose it's really the milk. I have a hard time imagining the Cheerios making it past the keys and down into the works...

thetravellor said...

I spilled soy sauce onto my laptop about 24 hours prior to a big exam, where it was too late to write by hand. Luckily - only my keyboard was ruined, so sat typing the exam with a wireless keyboard purchased for the occassion whihc was returned when the new laptop keyboard arrived. Not a very fun experience - but lucky in that i didn't fry the whole laptop.