9.18.2010

In Greater Detail


So here's how it went and how it's been:
  1. I rented a 22' Penske truck to do the move, which would have been more than large enough for our crap and the crap of my brother in-law / new landlord, but the peoples at the rental joint only had a 26' one available for me.
  2. A gang of the strappingest of tough kids in Santa Cruz showed up and helped us move everything into the truck. There was Tecate and Dominos - the leftover pizza was donated by our friends E+N+N to the skate punks in the park.
  3. I only hit one curb driving that monster.
  4. I screwed up at the first truck stop and tried to buy gas in the commercial truck section. My friend K, serving as driving buddy, bailed me out with the nice redneck lady inside and we got our diesel. We had Popeye's for lunch en route.
  5. It was a 12 hour drive to Portland. We arrived punch-drunk tired but intact.
  6. We unloaded the next day with a mix of family and friends and friends of friends helping out.
  7. We've had five days since, unpacking, settling, seeing people, and starting to check out our new home turf, the St. Johns neighborhood of Portland. It's amazing here. We have a clear view of the bridge from the house, we're a five-minute walk from the local farmers market, maybe a 15 minute drive from downtown PDX, etc. And it's been raining. I don't really want an academic job anymore; I just want a teaching job here.

1 comment:

Dolce Vita said...

That sounds so wonderful (the end, not the getting there part).

I want a teaching job there too.